Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Social Uses/Implicants of Technology and Media [My Cell Phone Destroys My Life]

“Hello Moto”.

How I remember hearing those words chimed through an upbeat rhythm for the first time, Christmas 2006. And then it began. From that day forward, my cell phone, whether it was the silver Motorola I started with, or the pink and stylish Sony Ericsson I have today, has never left my side.

I never did think I needed a cell before I met one of my now ex-boyfriends, Jon. The idea of phoning me on my house line was revolting to him, and pretty soon, I started to feel embarrassment at the fact I didn’t own a cell. So I begged and pleaded with my parents until the glorious day came.

The result? You would think a few phone bills rigging up over $200 would teach me a lesson, but no. Month after month, plan change after plan change, I find myself in debt to Rogers Wireless.

But why do I insist on continuing my rampage of endless phone calls and text messages? To keep in touch with long distance friends, let family know about my life, and speak for endless hours on end with my current boyfriend, Kevin.

Maybe it’s that last one that does it…

Which makes me think about a theory. Perhaps in this day’s dating world, we cannot manage to thrive in relationships without the use of the cell phone. The majority of people in relationships always want to stay connected and what better way than to pick up a phone and dial a cell number, increasing the chances of your loved one answering. Even a text message lets me feel more connected to Kevin than just going the whole day without speaking.

Then again, before the invention of cell phones, or phones in general, people managed to date and get married just fine. In fact, the divorce rate was MUCH lower before the invention of cell phones. The romance was much more authentic! Love letters, proclamations of undying affections, and the longing makes love seem much more unique. 

Thinking about it, I'd much rather receive a love sonnet then a computerized message stating "C u soon. Lv you!<3"

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

No comments: