Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Theory/Praxis [Media Ideology]

Ideology is a set of rules, beliefs, or aims that are used in many different contexts and cultures. In Mass Communications, we discussed the ideologies the media has and how they mediate them towards the audience it's aiming at. There's the ideologies that all women should be a size 6 or less to have a beautiful body, or the ideology of owning designer clothing to fit in. The media holds very superficial ideologies that they want to mold us into believing and following, basically, we belong to a subconscious cult.
How does this media ideology affect me? To be honest, for the longest time, I hated my body. I went day after day wishing I could be like the girls I saw in magazines and on television, hoping I could get thin enough to one day be on television. Wanting to be a t.v journalist growing up or an actress and seeing my role models look the way they did, I felt like I couldn't succeed. I truly wanted to give up.
But after maturing and buckling down in school and doing research on my potential careers, I realized that those who follow these media ideologies cannot be considered truly media savvy. It's only when you can look at the information and aims presented before you and choose to create your own that you can start your own ideologies for yourself.
And that's what I'm doing. BBC... watch out!

No comments: