Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Ecology of Media [Why My Laptop Owns Me]

Though there is much debate over the first laptop inventor, from William Moggridge's NASA model to Adam Osbourne's version, it doesn't change the notebook machines we are left with today. Light and portable, the laptop was brought into our lives to create ease and convenience to help us carry around needed information and programs that will help us with our daily routines, whether school related, work related, etc. The purpose of the laptop is clear; when having an immobile computer at home isn't enough, here's an option to make life easier and help out.
But thinking about my own laptop, is its purpose really helpful? Do I use my miniature computer to better my life? I purchased my 15 inch Macbook Pro a week before starting university this year to "let me take notes during class" and "complete work in between classes". Have I? Well, if taking notes in class is considered facebook commenting and completing work is deemed msn chatting, then yes, my lovely silver gadget is doing a fine job. Otherwise, I believe me and the 96% of laptop owners in university I verbally surveyed have tweaked the laptop from its origin purpose to a new function...
A portable distraction!

                     
Works Cited
"History of Laptop Computers." About.Com. 26 Sept. 2008 <http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bllaptop.htm>.
Photo Taken From: "The History of The Laptop Computer." Electronic Communication Device. 26 Sept. 2008 <http://ligon.wcpss.net/dept/tech/studentprojects/ecdpage/ecd.html>.

1 comment:

K.Silk said...

Very intruiging Steph. I too would agree that laptops now adays are more of a distraction than a tool of great help. I know that when I am in school, rarely do I use my laptop to assist me in school, and I have owned my laptop since grade 12. Although the basic design of the laptop is to help an everyday person get through their lives with greater ease and perfection, kids of today use them to complicate their lives and generally waste hours on the nothingness that is FaceBook. I completely agree with the blog that you have posted and back it 100%, people should go back to the origional reason the laptop was invented, to make everyday tasks easier!