Friday, September 12, 2008

Academic Blogging [First Post= First University Headache]

[Author's Note: This is my second draft of my first blog. And proof of why i gave up writing diaries, both handwritten and online, about three years ago. My name is Stephanie Lewin, first year media student at the University of Guelph-Humber, and I suffer from sever writer's block; constantly. Hopefully after two weeks of leaving my posts in my drafts, I am now ready to post. Enjoy!]

Ah, the first post of many. How I wish this moment had come easy! Just picking my background colour alone took me a great deal of thought and time. Although, truth be told, that was not the greatest challenge to creating my blog.
So what was it? Perhaps the decision to choose Blogger as my hosting blog website? Not really actually. Despite any good or bad connotations linked with the corporation of Google, this search engine has seen me through it all; from resources for my last minute projects, to discovering the cheapest way to fly from Toronto to Florida, to self-diagnosis when... well, you get the idea. If I'm in bed with Google when I choose Blogger then you better buy some earplugs!
Was it picking the name of the website that will now become to cause of high stress levels and anxiety for the next 12 weeks? I wish. Fortunately, though I do believe names should be thoughtful, I also believe naming based on first instinct (in this case, I felt a manipulating of words was in order).
Then it was definitely picking to URL link name to my website, right? No; wrong again! I'm a writer at heart, if I feel like what I'm typing is worthy to post, well then you're worthy to read. A person's greatest critic is himself- or herself- after all.
So what was this great and difficult challenge to setting up my first blog? What caused my mind a great deal of anguish and frustration? What is the one suggestion I would make to Blogger on their set-up process? Make the damn security code easier to decipher:
thedigedqu
Could the letters have gotten anymore squished together?! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the first comment I have left anyone yet.

I totally agree with your last sentence! I even had to decipher something to leave you this comment! So annoying!

But really great post all in all!

- candice