Saturday, September 27, 2008

Media Autobiography

I had a tough time deciding how to execute the task of a media autobiography. How does media affect my life? I believe the question is more so, how does it not? Ideas flooded my mind, but in the end, it was almost a no-brainer. I work for one of the most media-influenced companies in today’s fashioned industry, Jacob. This company’s goal is to set standards to women all over to rise up and become a “Jacob Woman”. The proper hairstyle (god forbid you dare to try curls), the make-up, the perfume, and of course, the high-fashion, expensive clothing.

I decided to do this project through the art of film because, as a media student, it will be a medium I will be working with quite a bit and it is one that I do not believe I have enough experience with. So I turned this project not only into a self-reflexive piece, but a opportunity to learn more about a different field of media that might interest me. It was definitely a well-thought out decision on my part.

My intention with this project was to showcase that, in working for such a company, I’m forced to be an example of this “Jacob Woman”. Setting aside all moral beliefs that women are all beautiful despite what the media claims, is something I do each time I walk through those matte-finished, black doors. It’s unfortunately the decision a financially insecure student must make.

I see some good in this though. I may work for a media-crazed fashion company, but it’s made me aware. I understand the tricks of retail. I see and hear the lies they feed unsuspecting customers each day. I can use a video like the one I created for my media autobiography to show that yes, looking good is fine and dandy, but so is feeling good. I’ve realized that the industry of media I work for has structured my life, but in the best way possible. I’ve obtained a knowledge that you can’t learn through books. The knowledge that when you try to avoid the media, it can consume you; instead, learn to live with it and make the mental choice to be smart, to be aware, and to be your own person. It’s the reason why I confidently tell customers H&M sells the same shirt for half the price, or explain to them that no, wide leg pants really aren’t meant for everyone.

I may be the “Jacob Woman” on the outside but I will always be me through the make-up.

No comments: