Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Activist Project [PETA]


In light of the American Thanksgiving spirit, I invited myself to attend the PETA website for a special behind the scenes look at a turkey ranch. I was not thrilled to say the least. Now, I’m no vegetarian, but I certainly do not support the way that these animals are treated. I don’t eat Veil and I don’t know if after watching this video I will ever be able to eat turkey again. 

PETA stands for ‘People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals’ and they stand strong in their beliefs. They are the ones you see downtown, standing outside of a KFC yelling “Kentucky Fried Cruelty!”, or powder bombing Lindsay Lohan for wearing a fur coat at Paris Hiltons club. Do I agree with some of there methods? Well, picketing is one thing, but assaulting someone for their own rights is another. On occasion, like most activist groups, someone will take it too far, but usually it’s with the best intentions. PETA focuses mainly on factory farms, laboratories, clothing, and the entertainment business, but they branch of into just about anywhere an animal can be found being harmed. They have a 2 million member list all throughout North America and its growing. 

Not only are they an activist group fighting for their beliefs, but they are a non-profit organization that sends all donations straight to the help of animals. On the PETA website you can find all kinds of statistics, videos, and more on the mistreatment on animals, such as the list of consumer products that are tested on animals. I don’t know why LancĂ´me tests make-up on pigs, but I do know that I won’t buy their products anymore. Like I said before, I’m not a vegetarian like the majority of PETA members, but I definitely am in agreeance with them in the sense that something should be done about animal cruelty. 

I won’t stop eating meat, but I don’t see the harm in telling some of my friends about their favourite products using animals as test subjects.


 Works Cited

Breaking Investigation Reveals Holiday Horrors for Turkeys. Perf. PETA. 2008.

 

Photo- "PETA." People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. 24 Nov. 2008. PETA. 25 Nov. 2008 .

No comments: